Sunday, November 19, 2006

Prolific day..... Read on

“The Constitution exists precisely so that opinions and judgments, including esthetic and moral judgments about art and literature, can be formed, tested, and expressed. What the Constitution says is that these judgments are for the individual to make, not for the Government to decree, even with the mandate or approval of a majority. Technology expands the capacity to choose; and it denies the potential of this revolution if we assume the Government is best positioned to make these choices for us.” U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy

The First Amendment is often inconvenient. But that is beside the point. Inconvenience does not absolve the government of its obligation to tolerate speech." U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy

First Amendment freedoms are most in danger when the government seeks to control thought or to justify its laws for that impermissible end. The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.” U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy


Okay, it has taken me a while to get to the point that I can write about the things I wanted to today, because I had so much that I needed to get down before I forgot it, or it became untimely.

So... Go to FCCFU.com and enjoy the theme song. Particularly listen to Carlos Mencia's little rant about Parental duties.


href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15772356/?GT1=8717">http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15772356/?GT1=8717

This little article is good as well, got to love it. I don't know if the artist is saying that it is the food company’s fault that Americans eat crappy food and are obese as a result, or rather trying to get the point across that those who eat crappy food are truly harming themselves. The thing is, he is utilizing a legitimate means of expressing his point, and the director of the Museum has decided to remove the exhibit, because he is afraid of offending the community. We have gone so far that people who ought to clearly be guardians of freedom of speech and expression cave in to worries caused by their perceptions. What hogwash. The director should take a sabbatical and come to a country where freedom of speech is unheard of, and then he can consider his actions again. If all you were ever exposed to was what you already knew and felt comfortable with, I would not be typing on a keyboard one day, and you reading it in the same day on a different continent.

Back to Mencia because I just love him, his little public service announcement goes something like this: Parents, do your job, utilize the choices available to you to restrict what your kids watch or don't watch. Don't try to restrict what is available to the rest of the population, just actually decide what it is that is okay your kids watch, and then enforce that. If you can't be bothered to do your job effectively, don't complain about it. (I took out a lot of colorful language, that really I think is pretty well employed, but that is the jist of the message.)

If the fires of freedom and civil liberties burn low in other lands, they must be made brighter in our own. If in other lands the press and books and literature of all kinds are censored, we must redouble our efforts here to keep them free. If in other lands the eternal truths of the past are threatened by intolerance, we must provide a safe place for their perpetuation.” Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 1938

You know this writing burns hot and cold sometimes, I could write (not logically perhaps) all day today, but there was a week or two when it was impossible to come up with anything to add to the discussion.

This week was rough on my family. Our dog Sam, who has been with our family since the day she was born in Colorado had to be put to sleep the other day. She had cancer, it was advanced. She was a 13 year old golden retriever looking mutt, she was a sweet heart, and while I knew it was coming, the worst thing about it on my end is that my wife had to be the one to see her on her way. It was the worst part because it was my job to do, and because it hurt my wife so much to have to do it. We all are born, live for a while and then die. It is a certainty. I like the email I have received a time or two, your head stone says born 1964-- died???? The years and the words aren't important; the dash in-between is what is important. Sam had a good dash.

I would also like to thank my friends and family for being so good to my wife and kids while I am gone. It means a lot to me as well I am sure to them.

Peace out LOL

No comments: