Tuesday, February 10, 2009

No Name

I don't know what to call this post, I have no clear idea about what to say. I just know I need to talk and I'm using the one outlet available to me tonight. Last week's work week was horrible. Thirty minutes after my first shift started my patient coded and died. That particular day we had 3 patients go into cardiac arrest and die. The rest of the week didn't get any easier and with the arrival of several new war causalities we were in for very busy shifts. When I finally finished up, it took the better part of 3 of my 4 days off to recover from three 12 hours shifts that were tragically sad.

Up until this evening this work week hadn't been too bad. This evening I learned a young soldier I cared for last week, flown in from Afghanistan, has cancer. The bad kind, not that all cancer isn't bad but this one is exceptionally bad, it's liver cancer, which is almost always fatal. He's 19 years old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you just want to scream at the injustice of it all.

Unknown said...

I am not the most well spoken person I have met. So I am left with the following which I hope helps you somewhat.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."

I know that you are doing things that have to be done, and people appreciate your doing them well.

Keith